Wednesday, April 5, 2017

IWSG ... REJECTED.

It's the first Wednesday of the month. Time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group! IWSG is a brave space where writers get together to commiserate with each other's insecurities and share our support. Click on the link to join. http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com

This week's been rough. While it's great to be waiting on a release date from a small publishing house on one of my novels, I'm crushed.

I just got rejected for the UNLV PhD BMI Fellowship in Fiction. I wanted this bad.

They were nice about it.

Hello, 

At least they didn't start off with Dear Looser, but...


We thank you so much for your application to the UNLV Creative Writing program. At this time, we have filled the fiction PhD spot for the 2017-18 academic year. I'm very sorry to inform you that you will not be offered admission to our program. We accept one candidate in poetry and one in fiction every year, so the program is very competitive. 


One candidate! They only accept one candidate?! It's an awesome program, too. It's so awesome I'm 100% sure I will never get accepted, ever. While it's not the FINISH LINE dream it's been THE dream for the last few months. I've spent so many hours working on this application it's hard to even quantify how much work was put in.

That's my insecurity for the month. My life in academia is probably over. 

I've been writing, writing, writing, but it's hard not to dwell. Any creative ways you keep your spring from clouding over? 

8 comments:

  1. One candidate? Wow. No kidding it's "very competitive." I'd never get picked either. :( Just imagine all the people who weren't accepted. Hundreds. So, it's okay. You'll make it somewhere else. Don't give up! Your life in academia isn't over. Hand in there. Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys! More time to write, right? My writing gets better with every book. I'm incredibly grateful for the chance to study under the mentors I've had, and to be part of IWSG! I'm letting it go as I sign I have more to learn before going back to school, as weird as that sounds.

      Delete
  2. One?! Sheesh!

    You hang in there! Maybe you're meant to go down a different path, one you can't see all that clearly yet but that doesn't mean it's not still there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Madeline! I'm taking it as a sign it's not my time for a doctorate program. Trying not to let it overshadow the victories of spring. Thank you for your support!

      Delete
  3. Keep trying. Never give up. "Persist until you succeed." Og Mandino
    ' Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juneta. "I will act now!" Love it!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get the PhD spot you hoped for, Adrienne. That would be crushing. Don't give up! A better opportunity is obviously waiting somewhere else. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fundy Blue! Back to the drawing board, and staying positive.

      Delete